Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ramadan begins!

I’m writing this in a moderate state of delirium because I chose to fast today (though I chose to drink water because it wouldn’t be healthy to be dehydrated in this heat), so bear with me. I get to eat in two hours, so please go down sun. Ftar is waiting! Anyway, I have quite a bit to tell.

I have been uber busy with going to the beach, Villa des Artes, packing for Tangier and Chefchaouen, running in the Hilton, catching up on sleep, bathing awkwardly in the hamaam, celebrating a birthday, and obviously most importantly.. Learning SO much Arabic! Just a week ago I could hardly construct a word and now I can conjugate verbs! Well, sort of. I still have a lot to learn. Who knew that there was more than one way to address a group of people depending on how many there were? Are there more than two people? My host family laughs endearingly when I practice my choppy Arabic with them, but they are fabulously helpful as well. I apparently have a heinous accent though, so I definitely need to practice speaking. I am getting a little faster at writing though, which is a plus!

Ramadan here is incredible to see. In the day, all restaurants and cafes are closed and Rabat is a ghost town. At night, the world comes alive and festivities abound. There are about three cafes in Agdal (the neighborhood I go to school in) that are actually open.. One of them being McDonalds. So really, if I want to eat food to have energy to run each evening, I have pretty limited options. During Ramadan, people are on edge and irritable, especially towards the end of the day, and it isn’t exactly safe to be out and about. I had a taxi driver nod off while I was in the back, and it was terrifying. Driving around is unsafe and there are tons of  car accidents.  Any time between 6:45 and ftar is a bad time to be out, so we aren’t supposed to go out until around 8:30 if we want to.

Since most people in Morocco fast during the day, working hours are shorter or people are sleeping during the day. The mosque is brimming with people all day, and it is so incredible to see hear the calls to prayer. The sky becomes filled with the sounds of calls to prayer and it’s inexplicable just how beautiful it is. Ftar (break-fast) is just the first meal, and my family continues to eat every couple of hours until sun rise at 3 AM. Some kids in my group are waking up before 3 each morning to eat, but since I’m not fasting for religious reasons, I am eating breakfast when I wake up and only fasting a couple of days. If you want to know more about Ramadan, here is a website that talks a bit about it!

The beach here is really beautiful! It is crazy to think about the fact that I am swimming off the coast of Africa, on the side of the Atlantic I always wish I could see when I am standing on the Atlantic coast back home. Another group outing we did was a trip to the Villa des Artes, an art museum, in which we were able to meander about without a guide and see North African art. It really made me want to start painting again.

The most awkward cultural experience I have had thus far on my trip: the hamaam. Let’s just say I feel really, really clean after that experience. I’m relatively positive that three layers of my skin were scrubbed off, so I guess I’ll be keeping my new tan for a while! It was pretty awkward lying down on the floor of this hot sauna room, without much on, getting scrubbed - a little painful, too. Quite the cultural experience though. I can now say I have been to a public bathing house and lost three layers of skin in the process. Interesting.

Well, I’m probably forgetting to mention a few or a lot of things in this post because of my current state of fasting delirium. Tomorrow we leave for our weekend trip to the beautiful (and sweltering) cities of Tangier and Chefchaoun. Insh’Allah I will be able to focus on my homework before it’s time to eat tonight. With or without food  though, Morocco is still amazing.

Ramadan Kareem to everyone! Love from Morocco,

Marg

No comments:

Post a Comment