Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tangier and Chefchaouen

As a disclaimer, I know that Google translate is not the best option when it comes to translating anything.. However, if you are home alone, sick, and desperate to know the correct dosage of your French medicine so that you will stop coughing, sneezing, and feeling generally miserable.. It comes in pretty handy. Apparently, I got a virus from the ocean  after my beach trip the other day, which means no school for me for the next couple of days. This is actually a huge bummer, because that means hours and hours of Arabic instruction, a trip to the market, a calligraphy lesson -that I'm missing out on. Maybe I can just ignore what the doctor said and go to school sneakily anyway.. Inshallah.

But this weekend was phenomenal. The most beautiful places on the planet that I have seen in my entire life: The most northwestern point of Africa in Tangier (from which you can see the horizon of Spain,) the spot where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic, and Chefchaouen, Morocco. I could try to explain how absolutely perfect and amazing these places are, but my words cannot give justice to the inexplicable beauty.

Our first stop on Friday was Asila, a tiny artsy town with abstract murals on every wall, that overlooks the Atlantic ocean. Each year, they have an art festival where artists go and paint over that of last year, so it never looks the same. Our next stop was Tangier, a more European style city in the northwest. We took a walking tour through the medina, saw Hercules cave, went to the spot where the Mediterranean meets the Atlantic, and ate lunch at a European cafe where I had my very first real salad in weeks! I know that might be a little strange to get excited about, but every single salad I have ordered in Morocco has been a plate of mayonnaise, rice, tomatoes, and maybe one piece of lettuce.. So I was pretty excited! In Tangier we also got to visit the American Legation, where the only U.S National Historic Landmark outside of the U.S exists! Then on Saturday afternoon we ascended the mountain to the beautiful blue and white city of Chefchouen.

The mountains in Chefhcaouen tower above you and remind you of how vast the world is in comparison to the tiny little specks of houses and mosques that dot the mountainside. For dinner that evening, we went to restaurant Alladin, where we climbed six flights of stairs to sit on the roof with a 360 view of the village. Lanterns, candles, and stars illuminated the night and we feasted on delicious, traditional Moroccan food for three hours -and of course I had mint tea. The sunset call to prayer literally echoed through the mountains from the seven mosques around us, and I have never experienced something quite so beautiful and harmonious. I will try to post a video. After dinner, we walked around the village and did some bargaining for some authentic Moroccan clothing, jewelry, and crafts. Since there is definitely a touristy side to Chefchaouen, many shopkeepers know at least English, French, Spanish, and Arabic. I limited myself only to Spanish and Arabic though, so that even if I couldn't bargain in Arabic I was able to get around quite easily with Spanish.

On Sunday morning, we scaled the mountain on our hike up to the mosque, from which we could see the entire city of Chefchaouen. Beautiful. I felt like I was in a movie. Sunday night, we came home in time for iftar with the family, and, lots of studying. Arabic has gotten significantly more difficult and my biggest obstacle is vocabulary. There's not much to say if you don't have the words to use. So, flashcards are my new best friend!! Arabic is an amazing language though, and I can't wait to keep improving.

Love from Morocco,
Marg

No comments:

Post a Comment