Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Pre-Departure

Hey everyone, welcome to my blog! If you're reading this, I am assuming that you know me, or that you have some NSLI-Y connection, or maybe you don't know me.. I don't know. Whatever. I'll begin by listing the basics.
  1. I was notified that I recieved this NSLI-Y scholarship (through the State Department) to study in Rabat, Morocco for six weeks this summer. I will be representing the United States as an ambassador along with a group of 14 other high school students. I applied in November and had anxiously awaited results until March. Needless to say, I was shocked, ecstatic and overcome with joy when I realized that I had been chosen for such an incredible opportunity.
  2. I will be enrolled in an intensive Arabic language program through my implementing organization, AMIDEAST. We will also be participating in volunteer activites, seeing the country, and meeting awesome people.. Oh, and riding camels :) 
  3. I will be living with a host family, though I haven't received any further information on that.
Our official date of departure is June 23 for a 2 day PDO in Washington DC. From there, we will fly to Casablanca, Morocco on June 25. I have been preparing by attempting to teach myself Arabic (though it is incredibly difficult to do so if you have not a clue how to pronounce words), and searching every reasonably priced store for maxi dresses, skirts, and loose comfy pants. Of course though, I still haven't packed. Or made a packing list. Whoops! 

I'll make no promises, but I will try to keep this blog updated while abroad. I know this will be such an amazing journey. Morocco is so vastly different from the United States, and to be honest - I'm not yet sure what I'm getting into. I know it will be worth it though. If the State Department believes in me enough to invest in this opportunity, I absolutely believe in myself. 

11 days. Let the countdown begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment